Monday, May 19, 2014

Brain Vitamin: Divergent

Went back from my MIA with the heartwrecking divergent.
Oh yeah, there might be some spoiler, so proceed with caution.


Cast:
Shailene Woodley as Beatrice Prior
Theo James as Four (Tobias Eaton)

Summary:
Divergent is a movie adaptation from Veronica Roth's book with the same title. The story is set in the far future, where people are divided into faction; Abnegation (selfless), Amity (peace), Candor (Honesty), Erudite (Intelligent) and Dauntless (the brave). Beatrice Prior is a part of abnegation, but always felt like she never really fit there, and through the aptitude test, she found out the reason why. She is a divergent.
After choosing dauntless as her new faction, she learnt that there is a plot to break their seemingly perfect society. Together with Four (he instructor slash partner), they try to stop it from happening.

What I think about it:
This movie is kind of a hit and miss for me. While the movie itself is good, it won't be much satisfying if you watch it after reading the book (which is, by the way, the reason why I watch it in the first place). The plot is kinda sketchy. I feel like there is something missing from it, maybe that was because while watching it I kept trying to compare it with the book. 

When comparing the movie with the book, there is one thing that made this movie a letdown. Everything going on too fast. I guess this is what happened to the last Harry Potter movie too. Since there are many things on the book that can't be explained in a 2hours movie, they omitted something, or add some other things to make it more intact. Ladadidamdam. This is especially happened on Four and Tris relationship. They know each other, fine. He helped him with her training, fine. Where is the part where the spark of love coming tho? Hmmm.... Mamamia. Anyway, the fact that they omitted the part where Tris was all beaten up before Four brought her to his room really give a huge impact on the missing element of their relationship. 

My other disappointment (which maybe kind of bias) is the casting of Shailene as Tris (am I the only one who's gonna think about incest whenever I saw her later on the fault in our stars with Ansel Elgort? Hahaha). I don't have anything against her, since she is all stunning, and good at acting the part. I just think that her posture didn't match the description of Tris. I mean, a 16y.o with a body like a 12y.o anybody? Maybe it's because I'm asian (that's why I said maybe I'm kinda bias), but on my place, not everybody got a body like that when they looks 12. Just not what I expected Tris would be :8

Moving aside to some positivity, I think the director did well with the set. It looks exactly like what I thought their places would be. I never thought abnegation would have those boxes like home, but thinking about it now, maybe having real roof would be too grand for them. Then come Theo James. OH MYYY God. Okay. You'll know he's four as soon as you saw him. With the low voice and those body built. Hrmmmm. 

Aside from that, it actually got a different pre-ending scene. With Jeanine as the one who turned of the programs and all the other things. Does it mean I could hope for a different ending for allegiant later on? Because, really, I love the books, I just wished it has a different ending. Hahahaha

No comments:

Post a Comment